- WEEK 1Jun’ichiro ISHII: 02 - 11 October, 2020
- WEEK 2Mizuki KAJIHARA: 13 - 18 October, 2020
- WEEK 3Sae TAKAHASHI: 20 - 25 October, 2020
- WEEK 4Manabu KANAI1: 27 - 1 November, 2020
- VENUEKIKA Gallery
- DATE18 July - 4 August, 2019
- VENUEMaki Fine Arts
- ArtistsDusadee Huntrakul / Amanda Riffo / Manabu Kanai / Nao Osada / Aya Kurashiki
TALK KARADA WA SENJYOU DAYO
- DATE22-23 December & 12 January 2019
- VENUEbicafe, GIfu
- TALK SESSION The perspective of "Art Theory of Out of Body Experience"
- PANELISTSToshihiro Furuya(painter/critic)
Kenri Kodaka(Kodaka LAB, NCU)
- ADMISSION¥1000(includes one drink)
KARADA WA SENJYOU DAYO is an annual exhibition series, hosted by Kodaka LAB (Nagoya City University), which aims to present the lab's latest research outcomes. This year, the 5th exhibition, entitled "KARADA WA SENJYOU DAYO 2018Δ"(roughly translated to be "Your body is a battleground 2018Δ"), will be held at bicafe, a cafe located in Yanagase Souko, Gifu prefecture.
I am going to take part in the exhibition's talk session program as one of panelists.
EXHIBITION COMPILING BEHAVIORS, DIGESTING ACTIONS
- PERIOD2 June - 1 July, 2018
- VENUETokyo Arts and Space Hongo
EXHIBITION IMAGE AND BODY AS INTERFACES
- PERIOD9 - 24 September, 2017
- VENUEAichi University of the Arts, Art Museum
ARTIST IN RESIDENCE ARTIST IN RESIDENCE AT CENTRE CLARK(CANADA)
- INSTITUTIONCentre Clark, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- through Tokyo Wonder Site Residency exchange program 2017
OPEN STUDIO & EXHIBITION PARATAXIS, EVERYDAY LIFE
ARTIST IN RESIDENCE ARTIST IN RESIDENCE AT FREMANTLE ARTS CENTRE (AUSTRALIA)
SOLO EXHIBITION TRANSPRESENTNESS: Inventions and Time of the Androgynous
- DATE12 - 15 April, 2016
- VENUEVCA Student Gallery
Building 874, 40 Dodds Street,
- OPEN HOURS10AM - 5PM (last day close at 3PM)
- 12th, 5PM - 7PM
Supposing the creation of art is not about expressing something within the given form such as painting and sculpture nor investigating conventional disciplines, but about inventing a form itself (a form of language or a system of notation) on which we base our articulation per se through associating inorganic matters.
In what kind of spatiotemporality can the invention happen?
Kanai’s solo-exhibition, entitled ‘TRANSPRESENTNESS: Inventions and Time of the Androgynous’, presents his new works created in addressing these questions. In referring to the ideas of polyrhythm and multi entendre, he explores the dynamism that is variably generated by shapes, colors, weights and behavior of materials and attempts to pack the dynamism into a single and static art form/a specific visual language, while he simultaneously emphasizes and mediates the incompatibility and the flux between materials.
He argues that only when we are at a loss for words and are puzzled by a language (a form) that embraces such complexities of plural syntax, the peculiar time, which he calls ‘the time of transpresentness’, might be generated.
“At the time of transpresentness, we are not only able to invent a new way of ‘seeing’ and ‘writing’ about the world, but also to reinvent ourselves (our beings), through acquiring new specific languages in a way in which they become new protheses for our perception and memory. During the time of invention, we, like the Greek mythological Androgenies, perceive that the transpresentness is grace, and remember what we have never known.”
Manabu Kanai, 2016
This exhibition is organized by Kiron Robinson (Victorian College of the Arts, the University of Melbourne), supported by the Centre for Ideas (Faculty of the VCA+MCM, the University of Melbourne) and funded by the Pola Art Foundation.
NEWS SELECTED AS A RECIPIENT OF POLA ART FOUNDATION GRANT 2015
I am pleased to announce that I have been selected as a recipient of
Pola Art Foundation Grant for Overseas Study by Young Artist 2015. WOW!
GROUP EXHIBITION TOKYO UNIVERSITY OF THE ARTS DOCTORAL PROGRAM FINAL EXHIBITION 2014
SOLO EXHIBITION A STANDARD FOR SEVERAL THINGS
- DATEJuly 3rd - September 7th, 2014
- OPEN HOURS12:00-18:00 (Closed on Mon, Tues, and Wed)
TALK AIR NETWORK FORUM
- DATEMay 16th, 2014
- VENUE3331 Arts Chiyoda
YOUKOBO ART SPACE × K.A.I.R. ARTIST IN RESIDENCE EXCHANGE PROGRAM 2nd STAGE
MANABU KANAI ACTIVITY REPORT&TALK+DOCUMENTATION
SOLO EXHIBITIONINTERPENETRATING SPACES, SUSPENDED COINCIDENCE
- DATEDecember, 11th-14th, 2013
- VENUEKasárne/Kulturpark, Košice, Slovakia
GROUP EXHIBITIONINSCRUTABLE LITERACY
- VENUETOKYO METROPOLITAN ART MUSEUM
- HOURS9:30-17:30(Last entrance - 30min before closing) *on 15th: close at 13:30
- WEB http://www.tobikan.jp/museum/2013/inscrutable_literacy.html
- ARTIST Takahiko Azami, Keisuke Inoue, Akihide Saito, Manabu Kanai
- DESIGNERTakahiro Furuya
- COORDINATOR: Sakiko Okazaki
ARTIST IN RESIDENCEK.A.I.R.-Kociše Artist In Residence
- PLACEK.A.I.R.-Kociše Artist In Residence, Kociše, Slovakia
- SUPPORTHosted by K.A.I.R., Supported by Youkobo ART SPACE and EU-Japan Fest
I am currently staying in Kociše almost three months (from October to December 2013) and will hold an exhibition at the end of this period,
You can see my photo diary in Slovakia HERE.